Thread poster: An Ballekens
An Ballekens
An Ballekens
Belgium
Local time: 00:14
English to Dutch
+ ...
May 22, 2018

Can anyone help me how to convert an sdxliff to an mxliff for MemSource? Thank you!

Pieter Beens
Pieter Beens  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2011)
English to Dutch
Can you ellaborate on this? May 22, 2018

Hi An,

Welcome to the forums
Can you tell something more? Why should you chose to use SDLXLIFF in Memsource as there are maybe easier options?

Best,

Pieter

An Ballekens
An Ballekens
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
already translated May 22, 2018

Hi Pieter, thanks for your help. The files are already translated in sdxliff format, but I cannot get them uploaded in MS, any tips? Thank you!

Pieter Beens
Netherlands
Member (2011)
English to Dutch
How did you translate? May 22, 2018

Hi An,

What CAT tool did you use for translation?
If you used Trados Studio, you should save the target as MXLIFF file and then upload the file to MS.
If it is a big file, open the saved MXLIFF with translations on your PC first, select all segments (Ctrl+Shift+A) and hit Control+Enter to confirm them all at once. That makes life a bit easier.

Best,

Pieter

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 02:14
English to Russian
How do you save an sdlxliff to mxliff May 23, 2018

Hi Pieter,
Could you please give more details on how you save sdlxliff as mxliff? Assume I translated a docx file. Now I have two options: either save it as docx target or save as sdlxliff. But I can't figure out how do I save it as mxliff? Thanks

Pieter Beens
Netherlands
Member (2011)
English to Dutch
You cannot save to mxliff without a source mxliff May 23, 2018

MXLIFF is just another kind of XLIFF file.
If you translate in MemoQ, the software saves the bilingual file as an MQXLIFF file, if you use Trados the file is called an SDLXLIFF file, and if you use Memsource then you are working with MXLIFF. While the files follow the same XLIFF structure, each one is slightly different.
So if you are using Trados you can only export a) the target document in the source format (if you worked on a Docx document this will be a Docx document with the sa
... See more
MXLIFF is just another kind of XLIFF file.
If you translate in MemoQ, the software saves the bilingual file as an MQXLIFF file, if you use Trados the file is called an SDLXLIFF file, and if you use Memsource then you are working with MXLIFF. While the files follow the same XLIFF structure, each one is slightly different.
So if you are using Trados you can only export a) the target document in the source format (if you worked on a Docx document this will be a Docx document with the same formatting) or b) the bilingual file in SDLXLIFF format. You cannot export your file in another XLIFF format.
So, if you want to output a MXLIFF file, you need to import a MXLIFF file as well.

If you translated in DOCX and your client needs a MXLIFF file, you can ask them for a MXLIFF source file or export your TM and send it over to the client so they can apply it to their own files to generate the translation.
Collapse

Said Bazry

Rastislav Tomasik
Rastislav Tomasik
English to Slovak
+ ...
How to translate an MXLIFF file in Trados and then upload it back to Memsource Jul 7, 2022

Ok guys, if you’ve been assigned a job in Memsource, but want to use Trados instead, proceed as follows:

1. Download an MXFLIFF file from Memsource.
2. Change the file extension from MXFLIFF to XLIFF.
3. Import the XLIFF file into Trados, do the translation and save the target file.
4. Change the extension of the target file from XLIFF to MXLIFF again.
5. Upload the MXLIFF file to Memsource.
6. Open the document for translation and confirm all segment
... See more
Ok guys, if you’ve been assigned a job in Memsource, but want to use Trados instead, proceed as follows:

1. Download an MXFLIFF file from Memsource.
2. Change the file extension from MXFLIFF to XLIFF.
3. Import the XLIFF file into Trados, do the translation and save the target file.
4. Change the extension of the target file from XLIFF to MXLIFF again.
5. Upload the MXLIFF file to Memsource.
6. Open the document for translation and confirm all segments (at once).

That’s it, you can now click on COMPLETE and you’re done.
Collapse

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
No longer necessary Jul 7, 2022

In the latest build of Trados Studio 2021 you can easily import Memsource files with all codes integrated now. I use those files then in Deja Vu, because DV does not easily support Memsource files with codes.

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

sdxliff to Mxliff

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »