Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
any similar experiencies with a selection process?
Thread poster: Mercedes Fatas
jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:39
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
459 documents??? Oct 20, 2016

InForTheQuill wrote:
They told me they would tell me the rate once I'll have signed about 459 documents (confidentiality agreement, working conditions agreement, sell-your-soul-to-the-devil-agreement, etc.) and taken a 4-hour test.

[Edited at 2016-08-24 15:28 GMT]

jbjb
jbjb  Identity Verified
Estonia
Local time: 19:39
Estonian to English
+ ...
nobody Oct 20, 2016

Nobody will force you to take a single project from them, even if you sign the agreements.
If it does not take you hours of signing, you can do it out of curiosity to see the rates for your language pair.

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:39
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Are they by any chance... Oct 20, 2016

Mercedes Fatas wrote:

But even so, I have now been asked to set a date and exact time for them to send me a 4-hour profiency test to be completed at the exact date and time you say. They also ask to accept their rates, which as far as I know, are quite low.
Does it ring a bell?? Any one has gone through this? Any feedback would be most welcome as I need to decide whether to go through the proficiency test or not.
Thanks in advance!
Have a nice day!

Hi Mercedes,

well, this does indeed ring a bell. There are 2 agencies that offer subtitle translations, wanting to know everything about your system (surprised they didn't inquire about one's breakfast), both companies/agencies are using one and the same platform(interface for their translation jobs as well as one and the same proficiency tests - which amount to about 4 hours, of course, unpaid.

Both insist that you accept their rates, only to start a rat race for possible jobs - along with however many other colleagues. If I remember correctly, their payment terms (30 - 45 days) must be accepted as well.

Since naming the agencies here violates forum rules, feel free to contact me.

Best,

Thayenga

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:39
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
The process Oct 20, 2016

Tr Domnica wrote:

Hi there,

I am in the same situation as you are and I don't know what to do next.
I am also new here on Proz so I would really need an advice.

Thanks.

Welcome!

any good agency might request a test from you, especially if you have little experience in subtitling. However, these tests are usually paid for, perhaps at a reduced rate, and smaller project(s).

Any offered rate of USD 2.00 - 3.00 is a joke. Also, proofreading subtitles should not be paid per audio minute, but rather based on the time you need, or, if someone is a beginner, based on a realistic amount of hours.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

any similar experiencies with a selection process?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »